Our Folke Johansson shares in a blog post his experience about his first oral proceedings before the Examining Division at the EPO, done by video conferencing.
The Unitary Patent valid across EU one step closer
Following the signing of the agreement, the ratification process by national parliament can start. At least 13 of the 25 signatory countries are required to ratify the agreement, and those must include the UK, Germany and France.
The unitary patent system contributes to the internationalization of innovative growth companies. It will be a good option for companies that want to file a European patent designating many participating countries.
”Despite the promising and historical achievements so far, a lot of work lies ahead to ensure the unitary patent and UPC deliver on their promise. There are still many issues to be ironed out and open questions, such as costs. We do look forward to a successful ratification process and thus I would recommend companies to start already now evaluating the possible effects on their patent portfolios”, says Mikko Piironen, European Patent Attorney, Papula-Nevinpat.
- First oral proceedings in opposition at the EPO over video – how did it work?
- Delivering the quantum advantage
- Russian IP legislation continues to develop
- Patent Prosecution Highway cooperation between the Finnish Patent and Registration Office and Eurasian Patent Organization has started
- Three Russian patents relating to treatment of Covid-19 have been granted